Purchase the book detailing the full life of Jonathan Dewhurst and his family written by his great, great nephew Philip Taylor and his wife Susan.
Price £12 incl.p&p.
Foreword by Peter Thomson, Professor of Drama, Exeter University.
This book by Philip and Susan Taylor is the result of eight years’ research, and is the biography of one of the great actors of the Victorian era, rescued from present obscurity by the perseverance of his great-great nephew and his wife.
With a foreword by Peter Thompson, Professor of Drama at Exeter University, the book covers:
- Jonathan’s family background and early life.
- His introduction to the theatre, his rise to leading rôles and his first appearance in London – a major rôle at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.
- Jonathan’s tours with other stars of the Victorian stage and the subsequent formation of his own touring company.
- The sea journey to Australia, Jonathan’s appearances in the major theatres of Australia (and several ‘minor’ venues), and his subsequent season in India.
- Jonathan’s return to touring in England and his meeting his future (third) wife – the actress Fanny Rivers.
- Jonathan’s management of the Theatre Royal in Leigh – the triumphs and disappointments – and eventually his retirement to run the Royal Oak Hotel in Chorley.
- Details of the Dewhurst and Rivers families, most of whose members were in the theatre – and in films.
There are useful schedules of performances, roles and theatres in which Jonathan appeared, and a detailed index.
This is a book for all interested in the theatre, the Victorian Age, family history and biography.